Thursday, September 15, 2011

12 weeks post-op!!

It's almost unbelievable to me that tomorrow marks my 12th week since my open heart surgery!! In other words, I'm offically done with the "Recovery Period!!!!!!"  This of course is slightly ironic, since "recovery" from congenital heart disease (CHD) is a lifelong process.  Nonetheless, I am so grateful to God and my awesome drs and nurses for how far I've come!  Feeling much more relaxed than I did that night before the surgery.  :) 

I remember how scared I was, first when I was diagnosed with my ASD and cleft mitral valve, and then that last week before my surgery, as that date--June 24th, 2011--seemingly loomed over my head.  But I also recall how at peace I felt throughout the whole process, because I KNEW that God was carrying me through this experience.  Although later than most with CHD, my diagnosis came at the absolute perfect timing for ME! I was able to schedule my surgery for the last free summer that I have...Next summer will be consumed by graduate classes and clinical work!  Also, we caught this before any of the major "complications" (like strokes/hypertension) came into play.  According to my surgeon, without repairing my heart, my life expectancy would have been 30-35 years old.  Believe me when I tell you, it is quite the shock to hear that you may only have 8 years or so to live.  Even though I realize that God is the ultimate decision-maker and when He decides to come for me, I will greet him happily, I'm hoping I get to stick around this earth for a little while longer.  And after this experience, I'm thinking that He's got some pretty big plans for me!!

Soon I will probably write of my memories of the surgery itself, but for now I shall say adieu and leave you with a parting scripture, that has been my crutch this summer.

Test me O Lord, and try me,
examine my heart and my mind;
for I have always been mindful of Your unfailing love
and have lived in reliance on Your faithfulness.
Psalm 26:2-4

Blessings to you & yours,
~Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment